Re: Re: various

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:31:40 +1300

AJonas Schioett:

> >Since you can learn the secret for Orlanth Rex in addition to any
> >other secret (somewhere in TR, it says this but I can't find it
> >right now)

>Uhhhh, no. I'm pretty certain it doesn't say this anywhere.

My apologies. I had a temporary confusion with a draft version.

> >If you're a High King then you're not a tribal king and so
> >wouldn't worship Dar.

>Good point. But the upshot of this is that someone making a career of
>orlanthi leadership is going to have to change cults several times, which
>means loss of magic.

Why? Becoming a High King is hereditary and thus there's no progression from clan chief to tribal king to high king.

>Hmmm, seems like the first order of business for a
>newly elected king would be to heroquest a lot to get his powers back.

Why would he bother?

>Then again, it's noted somewhere that chieftains who become kings usually
>remain chieftains of their own clans as well, so why they would want to
>_change_ subcults and lose their clan-controlling affinity is beyond me -
>presumably they'd worship both.

Who says they have to change subcults? When a chief worshipping Dar becomes a tribal king, he still worships Dar. The distinction between the Chieftain and King is explicitly stated to be artificial and so there's no loss in magic.

Most tribal kings also worship Rex in addition to Dar. Again there's no loss in magic.

A few do not worship Dar and rely solely on Rex (I presume this would be more common among the Alakorings). The reason behind this is unstated. It might be these tribes tend not to elect clan chieftains as tribal kings.

--Peter Metcalfe