Re: Hero Wars PBEM?

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:53:22 +1100

Bryan:

>The only thing is....I just can't quite picture how this works.

My most successful experience of on-line gaming has been with a large group vampire/dark fantasy experiment called Cafe De Minuet, which is still going strong after six or seven years. It operates through both irc and e-mail: you do your (distinctively freeform) real time roleplaying in the 'cafe', and can also present on going adventures and responses through e-mail. I just hung round the cafe as a four year old demon waitress, but Pip (my wife) runs a variety of characters through quite elaborate collaborative story arcs, and writes up the adventures on the linked e-mail list.

Of course this was freeform roleplaying- in running HW you'd probably have a separate irc channel for bids and rules talk, while keeping the main channel for description and dialogue. Cafe is based in the US, but we have managed to work with the time difference.

I guess setting up an IRC 'Geos' might be work-able and fun, esp. if we could set up a 'registration' area to hold our hundred word descriptions. In character chatter and HW discussion. For real-time, formal GMed adventures I'd imagine a couple of hours every week or fortnight would be as much as anyone would want.

Any thoughts or suggestions? As well as individual campaigns, how about pre-advertised 'Home of the Bold' or ''Tarsh War online (perhaps within certain timezones)? 'Kites' and other beginner scenarios run by HW-proficient GMs? Electronic Garhound? Is there anyone with Glorantha MUSH/MUD experience?

Cheers

John

nysalor_at_...                   John Hughes

"So after a hectic week of believing that war was  peace, that good was bad, that the moon was made  of blue cheese, and that God needed a lot of money  sent to a certain box number, the Monk started to  believe that thirty-five percent of all tables  were hermaphrodites, and then broke down." - DGHDA.