Two weapons

From: Andrew Barton <AndrewBarton_at_...>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 13:46:50 -0500

> Miyamoto Musashi, of course, argues elegantly for the two-sword style.

IIRC most of his fights were one-on-one duels, though he also won against mobs of lesser opponents. Did he ever fight on a battlefield?

>From what I've heard the usual samurai weapon in an action of any size was
a musket.

> I reckon that two identical weapons work better becuase the balance is
the
same and you can spend less time adjusting and thinking about your own movement, balance and behaviour.

The two swords of a samurai certainly were not identical. One description is that in Land of Ninja, where the two swords of a samurai are termed Dai-Sho, literally 'short and long'. The description of Kenjutsu in those rules says that the Katana is normally used two-handed, and that the style does not include any use of a sword in the left hand alone - teachers of the two-sword style of Miyamoto Musashi are 'very rare'.

Andrew