Re: TR: Multiple subcult question

From: Markus Battarbee <battery_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 22:50:30 +0200

Jeff Kyer wrote:
> > Then why isn't any more expensive to join the 'wrong' subcult/aspect
> > for the first time?
> If you become the 'wrong' subcult from an aspect, it does not an extra
> 20%. BUT you may not get the right match of feats and affinities.
> Most subcults have feats that add onto the standard affnities for that
> Aspect -- and if you don't have matching affnities, you don't get
> those feats (or, if you are lucky and have a kind narrator you can buy
> them as stand alone feats).

OK, I get the point here. Hadn't thought of that.

> > I'd deduce from this, that I can't choose Helamakt Adventurous as a
> > second subcult, but instead *must* go with Helamakt Thunderous. Hmm.
> Um, Subcults are automatically a part of whatever aspect they belong
> to. And if you're base ASPECT is the wrong one, then you're just
> going to have to deal with having ineffecient magic.

The way I see it, being *automatically* part of an aspect contradicts with the possibility of worshipping a subcult with the "wrong" aspect. Question put on hold.

>> Just a moment - Joining a subcult from a different aspect takes 20%
>> of your time. After this it says it's possible to join just a
>> different aspect, but this has the same cost, 20%. I understand this
>> as implying that the 20% cost includes both an aspect and a subcult.
>> This makes sense, since the normal 30% initiate cost consists of 10%
>> communal worship and 20% of aspect+subcult worship.

> Huh? I really, really think you should wait till you have the
> rules.... But joining another Aspect is, basically, another subcult
> (at 20%) or, if youwant, aspect + subcult = 30% and is, effectively,
> dual initiation.

Alright - I suppose my memory might be failing me here. I'll wait until I can quote pages and paragraphs. However, having read most of the book once through, I'd appreciate if you'd also check the rules - paying 30% for aspect+subcult isn't what I remember. And it seems I'm not alone here. (Peter Larsen, Thom Baguley)

>> I agree - also, in an example of being both a devotee of one
>> subcult+aspect and an initiate of another subcult+aspect, the time
>> cost was 80%. According to my maths that's 60% (devotee 30%, initiate
>> 20% and communal 10%) plus 20% (second initiation)...

> No, being a devotee adds even MORE time.... We're JUST talking about
> initiation.

I know being a devotee takes more time. Here I can quote official text: The Thunder Rebels errata says Rurik pays 80% for:  Devotee of Destor Adventurous
 initiate of Daylanus and of Orlanth Thunderous Since a devotee pays 60% (objections?)
That leaves 20% for the additional initiations of Daylanus and OT. Not 30%.

Quite clear, unless there's some weird rule saying additional initiation is cheaper for devotees. I can't remember reading anything like that.

>> The idea was not to include worship of Helamakt Thunderous, but of
>> Helamakt Adventurous. Were it H. Thunderous, I'd have no problem as
>> the rules are clear

> Then, in that case you have O.A., Hedkoranth A, Helamakt A, which give
> you the affinities of OA, Hedkoranth and Helamakt. All at a cost of
> 30+20=50. The first subcult, even if its 'wrong' is apparently only
> 10%.

Apparently, yes. I'll refrain from commenting any more, since I can't reference the rules except from memory.

> Besides, your method looks like way too much number crunching. I
> really suspect most of your questions will be answered when you can
> read it.

Admitted, tweaking RQ has had an effect on me. I just prefer my rules to be clear and universal, not full of vague exceptions. (Not a critique, really - exceptions can't be avoided.)

-B