Re: From: [HeroWars] Venerate (saint)

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:20:36 +1300

Peter Larsen:

> >> Why should liturgy be any different?

> >Because then it will be just as easy to curse a whole nation as it is
> >to curse one foe.

>Well, of course not, but it ought to be as easy to curse a nation as bless
>a nation.

Why should it be as easy for the Ecclesiarch of Loskalm to curse the Kingdom of War as to bless Loskalm?

>My point is: why have no "# of target mods" for blessings?

To make it much easier to bless congregations, perhaps? This is something very difficult to do in other magic systems but it's dead easy for the Malkioni.

>Why
>not use the congregation's support to negate those negative modifiers (e.g.
>for blessing the congregation) or make the blessing stronger (e.g.
>increasing the power or duration of a "bless marriage" at a wedding)?

Because the congregation's support is an additional bonus?

>There are a different set of modifiers for blessings and curses; that
>suggests to me that there is something fundamentally different in the
>process.

Yes: Blessings are cast on your own right thinking and loved by God people. Curses are cast on other illogical people whom God crosses the cosmos to avoid.

--Peter Metcalfe