Re: Leaving the hero plane

From: giangero_at_...
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 16:42:38 -0000

> Hi All,

Hi.

> This came up last night. How are people treating the end of a
> heroquest: Do you have to overcome that 10W3 barrier at the
> conclusion of the quest (which is very tough without support) or if
> the quest reaches a normal conclusion do you just return to the
Inner
> World automatically.

Interesting question.
I'd never make it a difficulty, but I can't state the correct paragraph in the rules for that. I just rem that theists, for instance, provided they return to the correct temple, can be back without problems.

> I cannot find it now but I seem to remember a post aong the lines
> of 'What happens to all those people stuck on the hero plane who
> never manage to return to the Inner World' with the answer being
> that 'this does not happen at the completion of the quest, you
> return to the Inner World without needing to run a contest'.
>
> My assumption then being that rolling to exit the quest is only
> needed if you try to terminate the quest at an abnormal point
> (i.e.things are going really badly, unexpected enemies turn up, and
> you want to bail).

I agree. I add that maybe you have a barrier to overcome if you didn't enter the quest with a ceremony at the temple but at a "weakspot".  I argue (but I know it is not official) that since you can more easily enter the Heroplane (for instance) at a weak spot than through a ceremony, then as a side-effect, you have to cross a barrier to get out.
Incidentally, the total of the two (or more) barriers could be 10W3!

> If not, how have narrators handled players who fail to break out -
> are you subsumed by your god (your individuality lost), do you exit
> but in the wrong place, spent the rest of your days wassailing in
> Orlanth's hall, etc.

I vote for the last: but you can join others' quests, and I suppose they are not rare, and beg the travellers to help you come back with them (and this is rare, I guess).

Ciao
Gian