Re: PC Experience, Power, Roundedness

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 14:07:55 -0000

> Browsing a few of the websites, it appears that a reasonable number
> of campaigns have fairly heroic characters, and many appear to have
> developed these by starting out at least close to the "normal"
> parameters set out in the rule books. However, when I set out to
> calculate how many hero points it would take one of my characters to
> develop to a start-plus-10 level (i.e., highest skill 15W, other
> skills also rising 10 points), I came up with a total of over 500
> hero points. At 5 HP/session (a generous estimate I figure), that's
> 100 sessions! Now obviously these calculations are somewhat
> arbitrary, but they do raise some basic questions.
>
> How long (in sessions or real time) does the typical campaign last?

We've been running for about 20 months. Playing most weeks. There's a few other ways to get extra HP -- I award points for good RP and I also belive in giving additional, directed HP for relationships (you save the village/clan/temple/old woman and they tend to respect you).

> How do different narrators and players balance the fun of well-
> rounded characters with the clear power-gaming benefits of
> specialization?

I make sure that I have a mix of adventures. We have had a lot of high Close Combat adventures but we're moving into more subtle things.  When players have specialized in one area, use others.

They don't have bargain? Rip them off at the markets. They don't have relationships? Their more popular relatives get support.
They don't have track/find/whatever? The villian gets away. They don't have conversational skills? Critical information is not found.

> Do most narrators have an arch of development in mind for their PCs?

I have a broad sort of storyline in mind -- but its the same one used in the Rebellion. The heroes have moved away from the clan/raiding/feuding/day-to-day concerns and moved more in being involved with the Rebellion.

Its interesting when a group of players approach you and ask to be outlawed rather than have their wives, husbands, families, kin and clan folks be harmed for their actions. Very, very gratifying. I don't think I've ever seen the like before.

> What are some of the different approaches to letting PCs play truly
> heroic characters while keeping the emphasis on role-playing rather
> than power-gaming?

INteresting problems. Tough opponents. Rewarding 'Another Way.' Moving into political and SOCIAL aspects of the culture and campaign.

> Last but not least, what level of power does Sartar Rising assume?
> Can PCs of normal starting level be buffed up quickly enough to play
> a meaningful role in the Hero Wars? (no spoilers please! ;) )

Yes. YOu can use off the shelf folks. There's several levels of power involved in the various scenarios.

I also allow a certain amount of heroquesting for personal power (not those identity challenge thingys) and I will post our rules on that later on.

> A lot of questions for one post, I realize. Don't have a lot of real
> playing experience, and wondering how different groups have dealt
> with these issues. If this is not the right forum, I'm happy to bow
> out.
>
> Reinier

Always remember that there's another way.

Jeff