Re: HPs and normal abilities house rule.

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 13:14:37 -0000

I think this is a good point.

> are going to start throwing HPs around like confetti everytime
things
> don't quite go their way, they will soon suffer. Those who spend
their
> Hero Points on improvements will become MUCH more powerful than
those who

After 1 1/2 years of play, the players who threw away their heropoints like water _frequently_ are actually significantly weaker/less well-rounded than their more conservative cousins. They have the HP for upgrading core skills but don't seem to have the points for magic or 'neat stuff'

Its very interesting to watch. In fact, one character was recently retired due to this problem.

> don't. Anyone who is using hero points for anything other than
'avoid a
> fumble to save my life' and 'make it a critical to slaughter the
opponent'
> will regret it sooner than you think. Hero Wars is very much a
system that
> encourages you to take the lumps, safe in the knowledge that it is
very
> difficult to actually die... Unless your GM is very cruel.

That's been my discovery.

> What is Starkval's secret? I'm at work so I don't have any books to
look
> up, but unless it doubles the edge automatically AND affects the
entire
> fyrd this seems unlikely. A rough calculation gives only a slightly
better
> than fifty fifty chance of a bonus, even spending a hero point, and
the
> player ought to be suffering multiple target penalties.

I agree, I think that something'w rong with Ollie's math. But facing a fyrd on their home ground with a Starkval who HAS THE SECRET is pretty rough.

I have been playing for 1.5 years and NONE of us are even close to getting their secrets (except the bear-guy. He's probably only got 80 HP to go). Oh, and yes, I've been criticized for being TOO generous with HP, so its not like I've been stingy.

I'd be wary of changing the game before one even plays it.

Jeff