Re: Converting RQ to Hero Wars

From: Charles Corrigan <glorantha_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 16:00:32 -0000

> I'm just starting to plan a Gloranthan game after a long absence.
> Some of my players still have their old RQ3 characters and want
> to convert them to Hero Wars. So my question is: are there any
> guidelines for this anywhere?

Decide what power level you want to run your game at. Default HW power level is best skill 5W which IMO is good experienced RQ characters close to Rune level.

Get each of them to write the history of their character and comment on the history of each others' characters (this bit may involve some tense diplomacy :-)). And you should comment too (the fun bit!). These histories will determine the occupation, abilities and relationships that they have.

Remember that HW does allow broad/generic abilities - a good rounded NPC can be built with just two skills. Encourage the players to drop irrelevant abilities that were never used in a notable fashion but don't make a sticking point of this issue. Remind the players that as they get more powerful, the value of relationships goes up.

Assign the numbers. Play. Don't be afraid to revise the numbers in the first one or two sessions.

It's much easier starting from scratch ;-)

regards,
Charles