Re: Increasing devotion

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 00:51:17 -0000

> It what circumstances is a hero's 'Devotee of X' ability relevant to
> a past episode?

Anytime you've done anything at the behest of your temple or god? Anytime you've done a heroquest where youv'e taken a role related to your deity.

> In our games we tend to agree that an ability is relevant if the
hero
> used the ability in any contest (that is, dice were rolled against a
> target number computed from the ability rating). This works OK for
> most abilities, but our heroes rarely have contests in which Devotee
> of X is applicable, and we are loath to pay double costs for
> abilities, so none of our heroes have high Devotee of X ratings.
Have
> we made a mistake?

Sometimes you're using an ability as a part of the background or as a part of a service.
If you go and do something cool for your cult, a few HP for temple (local priests) and Devotion/Initiation (relationship to deity) are very much in order!

> Is Devotee of X relevant to an episode in which the devotee used an
> affinity? Or one of the god's virtues? Or should players just pay
the

It says that if something is ROLEPLAYED that that is sufficient for 'used in game' Roleplay rather than rollplay, as it were. =)

> double cost? In what circumstances might a hero use their Devotee of
> X ability?

Rituals. Divinations. Getting favors from non-local temples/priests. I seldom make players pay double if they can come up with something reasonable.

Hope this helps?

Jeff