Re: Doom Rune

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 13:31:43 -0700

Mikko:

> Yes it is, but it wouldn't work on the GL-Pharaoh-Heortling runic system,
> because Luck already has bad luck associated with and Fate is doom, wyrd,
> etc.

It strikes me that 'wyrd' has a particularly Heortling meaning that is much more specific that 'Fate'. Heortlings believe in freedom, and that a man or women can be or do *anything* if they give their utmost, take responsibility for their mistakes, and act loyally to their kin. 'Wyrd' is not a pre-ordained absolute fate: it is your present circumstances, good or bad, together with the opportunities to change or advance those circumstances.

A good man or woman can fall on hard times through no fault of their own. That's their wyrd - the nearest English phrase in this circumstance is probably 'shit happens'. But they are not condemned to this state forever, if they extract themselves from said dungpile and act courageously, then they can achieve anything - this is also their wyrd, or promise.

If a man or woman acts against their kin, or does not take responsibility for fixing their mistakes, then they can expect the world and the gods to turn against them - this is a third sense of wyrd - a karmic sense of justice and balance.

So wyrd is present circumstance, future possibility and promise, acknowledgment that the world can be unjust, promise that for an *active* man or woman those justices can be overcome, and threat to those who distain proper action.

The Orlanthi don't see the world in terms of 'sin', but it seems that inactivity, stasis and false pride (not learning from mistakes) are the greatest failings. These ideals will also impact on Heortling ideas of purity, wholeness and morality. (over to the Digest...)

John

nysalor_at_... John Hughes

Stand strong on dark earth

             see in the sunrise