RE: Re: Items as followers [Was: Just a quick question ]

From: Weihe, David <weihe_at_...>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 12:19:38 -0400

Bruce Ferrie wrote:
> On Friday, June 08, 2001 2:02 PM, Benedict Adamson
> [SMTP:badamson_at_...] wrote:
> > Bruce Ferrie wrote:
> > > (That said, is there an argument for
> > > taking a particularly powerful "multi-function" item as a
> > > follower?).
> > An excellent idea. I think I'll try to do so at the next
> > opportunity.
>
> And now I think about it again, you *could* model the
> "hero who has stumbled across a mythic item" by taking
> said item as an Ally or (gasp!) a Patron.
> Something along the lines of Stormbringer, for example, could
> merit this sort of treatment.

This definitely requires Narrator approval. And what if the Dread Sword Of Unending Death that you have found is really a Gods Age funeral-only sword, the equivalent of the guitars that Pete Townsend buys specifically to smash at the climax of Who concerts and are otherwise worthless (as musical instruments, at least)? Will the player accept that his character has bought with his time, blood, and sweat (all those HPs that might be spent) a piece of garbage without letting the character catch on, and stop spending those HP in the hope of getting *something* out of it?

Contrawise, the GM's very approval would tend to indicate that the item was NOT a horrible con, unless the player and narrater are good enough friends that being victim of a practical joke like that would not destroy the trust that people seem to think is necessary for a good HW campaign.