Re: I could use some advice...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_...>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:25:37 +0100 (BST)

Gerald Bosch:

> This has been one of my problems... deciding which AP exchanges to describe as
> "Your arrow smacks into the tree by his head driving him to take cover" and
which
> to describe as "Your arrow whizzes by his head, slowing his approach, but he
> continues to advance."

Well, that's what the games mechanics are for. ;-) If (one half of) the contest is "rush the archer" vs "keep him pinned down", then the former is a bigger success than the latter.

The tricky part is, of course, deciding before the exchange is resolved what modifiers to assess. Where the contest is so assymetric, an interesting device is to assess a handicap to each side in turn, when "resisting", on the basis that the each side is more likely to improve their own position by their own actions, rather than "by default" via their opponent blowing it.