First round initiative order in group extended contests

From: bowmanm_at_...
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:35:02 -0000

I will finally be running HW this Sunday and had a question about group extended contests. I tried searching the archives, but didn't have much luck finding an answer.

Each round, participants act in descending AP order. But how is your AP total determined? You get a number of AP equal to your ability ranking in whatever you're using first in the contest, but how do you determine what that ability is.

In other words, who gets to act first, and thus limit the options for someone else? For example, I choose to charge an opponent, that limits his first options to abilities which will be useful to defend himself from my charge.

A way I thought of is that everyone declares what they *want* to do in the first round. Then you work out how many AP each person would have ("shadow" AP). People then act in order of shadow AP. People who are targets of earlier actors actions may end up with a different AP total than the "shadow" AP total calculated earlier.

This seems a bit complex, however. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Michael Bowman