Re: broad abilities

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 18:16:56 -0700

Thom suggested

> Why not differentiate broad and narrow abilities by
> having two default improvisation modifiers, say -3 and -10?

I think this is what most Narrators do already, so it could be codified in the rules. (I wouldn't apply this to use in augmenting, but then we're only talking about the *default* improvisational modifier, and Narrators are always free to impose more suitable modifiers depending on the situation.)

Nick wrote

> If we *really* want to introduce a special class of 'broad abilities'
> to which special rules apply, maybe we'd all be happier limiting them
> to something like the following list:
>
> Strong/Muscular/Powerful/Mighty

I have "Powerfully Built" -- don't think I've ever used it.

> Large/Big/Huge

I know these have been in our games. Never seen them abused.

> Smart/Intelligent/Wise/Clever

I've had Clever. Seldom if ever used.

> Agile/Dextrous/Quick

I had Agile. Used it a couple of times. I don't think it's overly broad.

> Charismatic/Attractive

I have Charismatic. I was probably on the verge of abusing it, except that the consequences depend on the ability to use, and being a friendly guy is not always quite what I want. Also, in a couple of recent social situations, it was clearly not a good ability to use. I don't think it's overly broad.

Could these be a problem in some games, with some Narrators and some players? Sure. But so could plenty of narrow abilities (Cajole King might be a game-breaker in some campaigns). I still don't see broad skills as a problem that needs a solution, based on our several years playing the game.

If there is an ability that does two entirely different and useful things, I predict it could be abused. But the list you suggest doesn't have this problem. I suspect it's most likely to be a problem with affinities or grimoires (which are currently severely constrained already).

Jeff

> Hmm. Which reminds me, what would happen if you ended up with a bunch
> of refugees from the EWF/Dragon-kill popping up in your clan tula? I
> suspect they might have some problems.... =)

I'm not sure how they end up in the 1600s... I ran a Dragonkill refugee campaign once (see my webs site).

Alex uttered

> the lamentable Generic Close Combat

That's the delightfully generic Close Combat...

Which is probably the touchstone of the divide here. If you think a roleplaying game needs more combat skills, you probably want to add more skills everywhere. If you see no need for more combat rules gunking up your perfectly good stories, you see no need for more skill rules elsewhere.

I think the Hero Wars rules philosophy is soundly in the second camp, and trying to change it will result in a game likely to satisfy nobody, because it will be a game with no guiding principles.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein