Skills and broad or not...

From: Grawe, Philipp <pgrawe_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 12:29:03 +1000

> From: Jeff [mailto:jeff.kyer_at_...]
> I'm usually too busy running a story to check the rules.
> Someone might say 'can we check that' adn I'll say, 'sure' and if I'm wrong,
> I'll say I'm sorry and then we'll remember it for next time. And the
> players _will_ remind me. But the story's the thing, at least for us.
> (Some nights, though, we just want to roll dice and kill things)

Absolutely.

The whole Broad Skills discussion interests me so little because when I narrate a game (not that I am at the moment) I'm simply not fussed about how skills and abilities work. Let's tell a story, enjoy our selves and the dice rolls will sort themselves out.

Improvisational modifiers are tossed out on the fly according to a table I keep in my head

Skills can be as broad or as specific as a character likes, if they fit the ability test, then use it, if they fit the ballpark of the ability then use it at a minus. Tell me what you're doing, roll the dice and lets move on. Most of us in the games I play know the simple and extended tables off by heart so it saves time on looking it up in the manual

If an NPC needs to succeed at a roll to make the story more interesting, I'll roll a dice, ignore it, if it's a critical point in the story, I'll roll a dice openly and leave it to luck to sort things out.

In Uni days I spent friday nights at the Science Fiction and Games Association arguing whether Intelligence should be a stat or not, these days I just want a system that lets me tell a story.

Hero Wars is fantasically vague. I like it that way.

Harry.