Re: Re: Malia; identities

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 11:42:11 -0500

>Guy asked
>
>> a) Don't know if it's already been asked, or is painfully obvious, but
are
>> Barantaros the Hidden Gale and Barntar the Plowman the same deity? Or
>> different aspects of the same deity?
>
>I don't think so. Baran- and Barn- are common elements of Sartarite names.

I recall some discussion on the Glorantha Digest awhile back (about KING OF SARTAR, I believe) that, when Orlanth worship was outlawed by the Lunars, the worshippers often took up worship of Barntar to keep their "connection" to Orlanth hidden. My theory here was that Barantaros is connected to that aspect of Barntar somehow. (Just an intriguing thought; I haven't invested much in this.)

>> Theory #2: The Invisible God IS Mostal, and vice versa; neither god is
what
>> its worshippers claim it to be.
>
>Interestingly enough, Saint Banklou (a reactionary Jrusteli) "was
>buried with Mostalic Rites"
><http://www.glorantha.com/library/runes_intro.html>.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. I'm sure the God Learners would have picked up on the similarities; wonder if there were any undocumented experiments at crossing Mostali rites with Brithini rites? Perhaps the Mostali today are not like the Mostali of the First Age?

Guy "Too little research, too much spare time" Hoyle

We Meddle in God's Domain So That You Don't Have To