Re: Praxian Bastards

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_...>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 16:29:39 -0000

Jeff Kyer wrote:
> Tim Ellis wrote:

>> The Ambers, Potors and Ansils. Are they mentioned anywhere else
>> at all? (A vague nagging voice at the back of my mind says they
>> were counters in "Dragon Pass" - but if so, I would have assumed
>> they were clans within the Pol Joni, rather than Tribes in their
>> own right...)

> They are clans within the Pol Joni, I believe. Or at least, > that's what I'd think.

While Tim and Jeff's assumption is straightforward enough, there are other 'clan' counters within the Barbarian Horde battalia which are labelled "Pol Joni". Peter's interpretation seems to be that the loose grouping of Cattle Bastards in Prax that we commonly call "Pol Joni" in fact includes several different strands: the Pol Joni are the largest single group, but there are also other clan traditions.

I see this as handy for resolving the perennial questions about whether the Pol Joni use wagons, wood, yurts, etc. Some groups do, some groups don't. The ones you've met or played with do what you've seen them do. But practices aren't necessarily consistent across the range of "Pol Joni" clans.

I'm writing a scenario in which a Cattle Bastard shaman has a sealed wagon full of bad juju (parallel to the Orlanthi Storm Voice's oxdrawn  card); I don't want to say that this is something *all* "Pol Joni" do, and Peter's looser interpretation helps me greatly.

Cheers, Nick