Re: Re: Myth is not truth

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 12:24:46 +0000

>People have been urging that the term relativism should not be
>employed in this regard; may I ask what term you would use to
>describe the above behaviour.

I'm not an anthropologist, so I avoid using terms, in case the one I choose is wrong. Instead I try to describe long hand what I mean.

> > So is one vision fake? If so which? Or are both true? The answer,
> > of course, is yes. Elmal is the sun is my truth, Yelm is the sun is
> > your truth. Both are provable, through the heroquest. The quest
> > challenge allows us to prove which is more true - you bid your
> > faith in Yelm against my faith in Elmal, and the winner is proved
> > correct. If enough people take part, beliefs can be changed. This
> > is part of the hero wars.
>
>Question as per above. How am I supposed to interpret myths that
>make contradictory claims?

As myths which make contradictory claims, which are both 'true' for the people who have heroquested to 'prove' their version of events.

Before you get much further into this, it might be worth reading the relevant bits of both the Glorantha Digest FAQ on www.gloranthadigest.com and the Sobjectivity Debate on Nick's www.etyries.com. Most of this has been covered before, and is certainly getting off topic here. If you want me to discuss this further, take it to e-mail.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson