Re: Myths are not truth. And are getting plain silly

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:23:38 +0100

Inter alia :

> However, the fact that Orlanthis believe X does NOT necessarily mean
> that X actually happens in Glorantha.

Yes, it happens at the very least in the Orlanthi otherworld ; the realm of their beliefs.

> What we want to know is: what
> ACTUALLY happens in Glorantha? Whether the Orlanthis believe their
> myths or not is irrelevant to the question.

Oh God, I really, really wish that this sodding subjectivism thread would just crawl off and die quietly in some dank, dark hole instead of continually subjecting us to all this badly-acted Hamlet-Act-V-oid agony.

> (4) Despite Jeff Kyer's beliefs, the Digest is NOT a forum intended
> primarily for those who wish merely to make increasingly circular arguments
> without ever clarifying their points. As such, unless you can clarify what
> the problem you see actually is (preferably by way of concrete examples) I
> would prefer you take it to private e-mail, or drop it totally. I would not
> welcome the discussion as is moving to the Digest.

I'd far prefer to see the "discussion" moved to the Digest, and blasted to smithereenies on that fine battlegrou^h^h^mailing list.

And from there, on to OpenHeroWars ? <shudder>

> > If I HeroQuest, I see through the vision of HeroQuest. I look at
> > the sun, I see Elmal. I look at the storm, I see Orlanth. I look at
> > Kero Fin, I see the great mother. The earth beneath my feet is
> > Ernalda. But only if that is my expectation.
>
> People have been urging that the term relativism should not be
> employed in this regard; may I ask what term you would use to
> describe the above behaviour.

I still have the blood on my hands from the penultimate time this thread was killed.

There is only ONE Inner World, ONE Sun, ONE Ultimate Storm, ONE Ultimate Weltaunschung. ONE Glorantha.

ALL of the different otherworlds are part of the same Glorantha, despite the fact that these otherworlds contain many Suns, many Great Gods, many "Ultimate" Truths.

Not Relativism ; Co-Existence.

Like packs of cards have four Kings, 4 Aces, and 4 Nines.

Which is the _real_ King in a pack of cards ?

> Question as per above. How am I supposed to interpret myths that
> make contradictory claims?

With the help of your brain ?

Julian Lord

PS Responses to this post to