Re: Barbarian Adventures

From: contracycle <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:52:05 -0000

> Ok, but you are singularly obstinate in (almost) completely
> refusing to say exactly what you _would_ lie to see. The

I'm rather wary of several responses: (1) I don;t understand glorantha, 2) if you could make it now why not in game 3) go play another game which has these bits. Further more I am wary of being accused of beating a very particular drum.

> Merchant example was very instructive, and I think I have a
> slightly clearer idea of what you are after because of it,
> but the majority of your criticisms are so vague as to be
> practicaly uninteligible to me.

Fair enough. I tried to explain why I have a problem translating mythology into practice on the ground; from this perspective, HW has vastly less cultural info in it than appears at first glance.

> Yes, we all want more detail, but what detail is actualy
> preventing you from running or playing in a game?

>From my perspective, I find it hard even to conceptualise
characters. I wanted a character who had seen Tarsh in his youth - nowhere could I find how plausible it would be for an Orlanthi youth to have visited Tarsh. I don't have enough recent history in HW to guess the "roam range" of Orlanthi or to guess the circumstances at the time, so its hard to judge (although I believe there are Orlanthi in Pent). I know that for Gloranthans there is a notable difference between the different types of entities from different modes of worship, but I don't know how that appears to said Gloranthans, despite having asked on this list, so I could not describe the distinction to players In Character. I understand iron is acquired only from dwarves, and thus I do not know how it actually arrived in my stead - or if it did. Many cultures with distributed power systems like the Orlanthi might have an annual or semi-annual mass meeting to discuss various politics in the broad; does such a multi tribal meeting occur at all, or tribal-level meetings? Are there festivals at these events, and what are the regional power centres at which they occur? I think the recent discussion on Orlanthi roads highlighted the kind of thing I'm thinking of, and the kind of questions asked about the use of the greetings indicates that we do have an idea of what the Orlanthi think Should Be Done but a much less coherent idea of when and where its actually used. that sort of thing.