Re: Digest Number 756

From: sir_ethilrist <stefan.drawert_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:36:33 -0000

actually this isn't exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I've read the Far Point stead calendar, the Storm Tribe's calendar and Thunder Rebels, which all feature all lot of useful information on hoertling daily life.
but what about the influence of magic and [tiny] rituals on everything you do?

mumbling the prayer to Barntar while plowing goes without saying, but how common is it that you'll have to appease the earth spirit before entering the soil?

do the shadows in the coppice beyond the ol' thunderoak whisper dark things you don't understand every time you go there searching a lost sheep just because you've killed a troll raider a season ago? [longest sentence award]

and when the moon is full- do I boast more than usually because around me I feel the spirits of the air dwindle and by proudly telling all that stories of glory and bravery I try to get rid of this oppressive feeling and make my breath feel free again?

what impact does it have on one's personality when observing the magnitude of the gods when regulary entering the godplane [scared time etc]. isn't there some kind of insight that in a way afterwards prevents going back to "normal" life?

how much magic and ritualised action does a normal heortling perceive during "a day in the life" in proportion to what we would call "normal activities" like
> Get up, eat breakfast, work in fields, eat lunch, work in
> fields, eat dinner, drink, tell stories, sleep
?

okay, one could argue that most of the above could / should be ruled individually by a good narrator, but this would be a expression of personal style, not an implementation of "official" guidelines.

I liked the Far Point stuff in Questlines by John Hughes & Mikko R.[your proper name slipped my mind this very moment-sorry!], especially the short piece of fiction called "Music". in this I found many of the elements I was looking for . and after all, this & "Helden" made me view Glorantha as a by far more alien place than I did before [compared to the Alan La Vergne- / Griselda- way].

eventually: how alien is Glorantha and how does feel & look like?

any opinions on this?

take care,

stefan