Re: Wyter than Wyte

From: jeffkyer <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 04:17:47 -0000

http://www.herowars.com/hw/guardian_beings.html

Many of the questions are answered here, I think. A guardian being is more appropriate to a mixed group of heroes than a wyter would be. Wyter are a special case and not as portable as a heroband's being.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Guardian beings are summoned when a band is created. As long as their focus or regalia is intact, the organization exists... Even without members.

> Perhaps 'basic training' for a new group is in effect a wyter
ritual,
> especially when the wyter is of a type focussed through the
commander.

The creation of the unit or mustering might involve summoning a guardian being of some sort. I rather liked Nick's Rune Metal Jacket adventure. It fits very nicely into HW.

> 4. each unit? [as the lunars do?]
>
> Variants on the Lunar example - through sacred weapons or armour,
totem
> animals, wind banners, companion winds, clan totem poles (in effect,
mobile
> shrines) battle pipes (now there's a thought), or ancestral
trophies. The
> wyter rules are very versatile, almost anything can act as a wyter
with the
> right preparation.

Yes, and can go beyond the confines of theism - there's many sorts of guardians out there.

> Its a two edged sword or course: any enemy group will try and
destroy your
> wyter's object as its first priority.

Yes. VERY true.

> 5. and how to "get rid" of it after returning to their tula?
>
> War band wyters will be supported by the fyrd, and so maintained
> iondefinitely.

The being exists as long as the organization does. Which means that 'retiring' a regiment might mean that the standards and battle honours are careful cased and guarded in their home shrine and...

...say, why do I hear Kipling's 'Recessional' in the background?

"Our wyters are now one with Nivieh and Tyre."

> 6. if a clan has got a Wyter, does a tribe has one, too?

Yes. Tribes have to have one. Any organization has to have some sort of oranizational entity to be 'real' though I think that a kingly wyter is more for coordinating the clans.

> 7. and what about the Kingdom itself? Sartar as Wyter? which
abilities would
> such a Wyter have?

Sartar IS the wyter of Sartar. However, the regalia is damaged and his rituals have not been preformed for a generation. Its not even sure if he's not imprisoned in some Lunar Hell...

...so without the guidance of the wyter bringing them together, the kingdom falls into disprepair and anarchy as if it were just a memory.

> 8. and can a merchant travel safely without a Wyter, let's say
> a. through Sartar

Sure. Carvans might have a temporary wyter. But its a lot of bother

> b. foreign territory [Sartar - Pavis]

Caravan.
> c. enemy territory [Uz-lands]

Guards and the like I think would be more necessary.

Wyter aren't a silver bullet for every problem. Considering the upkeep in sacrifices, they are often more trouble than they are worth.

> 10. and how easy, as Philippe asked before, is it to add or
substract people
> from the "fellowship"?
>
> Becoming part of a wyter is like becoming a part of a group. It
would take
> some time (several weeks?) , especially if the group were relative
> strangers, and common worship and ritual. Clansfolk attaching
themselves to
> a battle banner would be easier and quicker.

Just join and commit to extraordinary support... I think its probbably something relatively easy to do. Could be simple as just buying an Issaries statue for 100 L. =)

> 11. what about, say lunar "tourists" in the barbarian lands: is it
common

Bodyguards, travel agents and 'native guides.'

The last batch of tourists we had were escorted by Our Heroes. A pith they wiped out the Hidden Gale warband by accident. Now the rebellion is NOT happy with them.

Jeff