Re: old Orlanth myth query; Fragment 1645; trickster firebringer

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 21:46:42 -0800

Bryan wrote:

> I wonder if myths in Glorantha could change as they travel in a
> similar way? Perhaps there is fertile ground for interesting
> heroquests as heroes explore "foreign" stories to find the original
> story out of their culture. (I could see this happening between any
> two or more of the Heortlings, Alakorings, Esrolians, and even the
> Vedref (they may hold certain stories in very old form, having had
> little contact with the outside world).

You may recall that in King of Dragon Pass a bunch of Delelan Orlanthi (from Ralios) show up trying to learn more about the Lightbringers Quest.

I can't remember if I left in the opportunity for your clan to question them about *their* myths; the result was the confusion of your own god-talkers.

In some cases, an outsider could even have a *more* accurate version of your own myths. (Probably less common in the Third Age, but most Dawn Age Heortlings didn't know their own myths all that well, as shown by Harmast's reconstruction of the Lightbringers Quest.)

Michael asked

> I am wondering if any further details of Eringulf's marriage quest
> (outlined in "Tales" #7) are known. Four of the Twelve Bountiful
> Treasures are mentioned (the Blessing of Seeds, the Happy Pigs, the
> Shield from Hailstones, and the Maker of Fine Horses), and one of the
> Seven Deadly Guardians (the Pig-dog).

There might be hints in Rastalulf's Saga in Enclosure 2.

Mike

> Can anyone point me to a "trickster steals fire" myth for
> Glorantha, preferably heortling?

According to the cult in Questlines 1:

"Firebringer
Eurmal the Lightbringer is an important god in the Theyalan culture..." The rune magic is Hide Fire.

--

David Dunham   <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>