Re: Inflation

From: Peter Nordstrand <doctorpeace_at_...>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 17:43:44 +0100

David Dunham:

> IMO much of the inflation is in the Hero Wars rulebook. Deep winter
> in Dragon Pass at 5w4 just seems silly to me.

At -30°C (appr. -22°F) it will take an unprotected person a couple of hours to get frostbite bad enough to limit her mobility, and a day or so to kill tissue down to the bone, causing dry gangrene, requiring amputation. My guess is that Dragon Pass winters can get much nastier than that. One may also want to take the wind into consideration.

I believe that time and protection are the two important factors here. Without proper clothing, nobody should be able to survive a winter in Kerofinela for long.

Whether 5w4 is an example of inflation, depends on how you handle the contest in rules terms. (I *do* agree that a Simple Contest, using a hero's default "Resist Dragon Pass winters" rating of 6 versus the winter's Cold 5w4 would be ridiculous.) In my game, I would give healthy bonuses in the form of augmentations, and edges (and handicaps to the winter's Cold ability) to handle this. Also, there is a difference between running naked across the courtyard and spending a week naked on a mountaintop.

Best regards,
/Peter Nordstrand

Do You Yahoo!?