RE: Cold Weather

From: Edward G McDonald <EGM_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 18:06:28 -0000

This is amazing - yet another opportunity to use my "Visit Family in Norway" skill on the Hero Wars list!

Regarding the cold, straight temperatures do not really tell you much. This winter (end December) I went to vist my family in Norway again (one year I musr remember to go in summer). On the coast where most of my family live the temperature was -15C, while in the mountains where we went skiing the temperature was -30C. The weather on the coast felt much, much colder than that in the mountains, even though the temperature in the mountains was much lower. This was mainly due to the dampness of the air.

The big difference was clothing. Just making sure you had a few layers made a difference and shoes that were a size too big with extra socks meant you go go outside all day, rather than just for a few hours.

In game terms, yes the resistance might be 5w4, but you can get lots of bonuses and edges just from being properly prepared, like most locals are. So you only really need a contest against "Deep Winter" at 5w4 if you are not prepared or not used to it. Think the poor McDonald's being turfed into the snow in mid winter at Glencoe (used to it, but unprepared), or the German army / French army retreating from Moscow (not used to it).

A bit of a ramble, but I think I got to my point eventually.

Cheers,

Edward G McDonald
Director
For and on behalf of Trinity Group Limited Tel: +44-(0)20-7491-7555
www.trinity-group.co.uk