Re: Tula Size

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 23:22:00 +0000

> Graham wrote:
>
> > I seem to remember a quote of around 50-75 square miles for a tula.
>
> TR p.29 gives an example of a 15x25 mile tula, which could be c.375 square
> miles or so. (Or as little as half that, if the measurements related to the
> longest dimensions, naturally).

The kingdom of Sartar is approximately 150x200 key miles = 30,000 square key miles. So, unless there are only 80 clans in the kingdom (about four per tribe), a 15x25 mile tula is unusually, but not implausibly, large. Assuming a typical clan has a population of 1,200 or so*, we can work out there are actually around 120 or so in Sartar, giving a typical tula size of 16x16 key miles, 10x10 miles, or 100 square miles, assuming no waste land between them (as the 'hunting lands' quote would imply). So 50 square miles might not be unreasonable for the size of John's 'harstings'.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

MXLPs: 3 (Cap'n Q, Harvey Mills, Tim Hall)