RE: Re: Lhankhor Mhy book protection

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_...>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 21:27:50 -0600

At 10:58 PM +0000 3/11/02, Nick Brooke wrote:
>Peter wrote:
>
>> I'll point out that indexing is not an ancient practice.
>
>I'll politely point you to St Isidore of Seville (early 7th century AD).
>They aren't proposing him as patron saint of the Internet for nothing,
>y'know.

        What? He gave out 3 parts error, 3 parts misstatement, 2 parts fabrication, a little gibberish, plus ads for porn and very small cameras for each right answer?

        Medievela indexing, as far as I know, was more along the line of margine notes than modern indexing. Just like the ancient Babylonians had their colophons, which were kind of like modern abstracts....

>> I still doubt that there are a lot of modern library issues -- there
>> will not be enough items for an elaborate classifications system.
>
>That may be so, but we know that each LhM Librarian invents (and partially
>implements) his own idiosyncratic classification system. We have no idea of
>whether there are too many items for a single classification system to cover
>them all, nor indeed of what any of these systems look like. But the *idea*
>is too good to lose, IMHO.

        My point is, especially among the clans, there just won't be enough items to make any sort of serious classification system necessary. Putting the average clan's LM holdings into 3 piles by size should work well enough for most purposes.

        I agree that the competing classification system is an amusing idea (well, potentially amusing), but not too likely in wild Sartar....

>> You can have most of the same fun without bringing Melvil Dewey to
>> Glorantha.
>
>The point is that no consistent classification system has ever been
>inflicted on the whole of any Lhankor Mhy library. *Not* that all LhM
>libraries share an efficient classification system.

        Considering the size of the libraries in most clans, just throwing the darned things into a box is a pretty good classification system. 5-10 minutes of looking at the 50 documents should find the right one.

Peter Larsen