RE: Esrolian Egyptians

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 15:10:09 +0100

Guy writes:

> I agree that I've always thought of Esrolians as Minoans, but I've been a
> little perturbed by the almost total lack of anyplace recognizably
Egyptian
> in Glorantha. Immense palaces, monuments, and temples, elaborate tombs, a
> cultural emphasis on the dead... great fodder for adventures!!

Maps of Esrolia show a small city called the Necropolis (cf. the RuneQuest Companion and Tradetalk #4). The unofficial writeup in TT#4 says, "The living inhabitants of this complex of temples and catacombs are outnumbered by the thousands of dead resting in and below the city. The Esrolian cult of Ty Kora Tek has its centre here." Given that TKT, the mummified goddess of funeral rites, is one of the major goddesses of Esrolia, I don't see Egyptian-style tombs, sarcophagi, mummies, catacombs etc. being out of bounds. (See also her illo by Dan Barker in Wyrms Footprints).

Cheers, Nick