Re: Gloranthan Analogues

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 20:34:34 GMT

Guy Hoyle

>I agree that I've always thought of Esrolians as Minoans, but I've >been a
>little perturbed by the almost total lack of anyplace >recognizably
>Egyptian in Glorantha. Immense palaces, monuments, and temples, elaborate
>tombs, a cultural emphasis on the dead... great fodder for adventures!!

IMO Fonrit is about the closest one gets with cyclopean remnants of the Artmali Empire dotting the land.

>On the other hand, I always used to think of the Lunar Empire as Greek and
>Roman,

Still is AFAIK. Starting from the Late Imperial Age, Dara Happan art resembles Graeco-Roman styles according to the Fortunate Succession. There's also numerous Toga wearers, not to mention the Phalanxes.

>Obviously, Dara
>Happa is now characterized as Mesopotamian, correct?

Back in the Dawn Age, it was. But a lot has changed since then.

>Now if we could just work the Hittites in there somewhere...

The only thing that strikes me as memorable about the Hittites on stylistic grounds is that they spoke an Indo-european language.

--Peter Metcalfe