What ship-style did Dormal build?(B

From: IWASAKI Moto(B <efendi_at_...>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 01:19:42 +0900

This is Efendi.

> Both the Quinpolic League and the Kethaelans
> are said to be using triremes, although this doesn't correspond well
> to Dormal's initial design or sea conditions (see below).

I agree that triremes don't correspond sea conditions. Because the water of high sea could be flood through the pits for oars.

I guess that Seshunegi and Kethaelans have been bound with their sailing tradition. This tradition is the coastal sailing that had been forced by the Closing for 5 centuries.

In 1543, the Ottoman galley fleet from Suez fought against the Portuguese carrack fleet in the coast of Diu (Western India), and was defeated. But the Ottomans challenged to fight against Portuguese with their galley fleet again and again. I wonder that People use galleys couldn't stop using galleys.

> this doesn't correspond well to Dormal's initial design

I heared Dormal received the inspiretion from Magasta and found the ancient ship design.

Which did Dromal build a ship as same as the ancient ship, or make a ship better than the ancient ship with helping by the inspiretion from Magasta?
(Though, I don't know what style of the ancient ship.)

> Calm Water sailing has been an art on Lake Felster since there were
> cities on its shores, and lowboarded, sleek galleys may have had a
> strong tradition there, some of which may have been used in Seshnela
> and Slontos as well.

This explanation is wonderful. I agree.

> I guess that the God Learner Free Men of
> the Sea who challenged the Waertagi used Artmali-inspired crafts,
> inheriting quite sophisticated shipbuilding technologies and
> supplementing these with local craftmanship traditions of Seshnegi
> origin. IMO they used Lateen Rigging, learned from the Artmali.

> During the height of the Middle Sea Empire I picture their navies as a
> mix of deep sea galleys with auxiliary sails and elongated
> carrack-style sailing vessels (precursors of clippers) for routine
> speedy transport.

I also had continued developping the shipbuilding technologies under the Middle Sea Empire.
However, do you think that the technologies stopped developping up to the carrack? On the Earth, in 1580 Englishmen invented a galleon by mixing the Mediterranean gulley style and the Baltic knarr style. (But... I think that a galleon is not suited Glorantha.)

That aside, was the shipbuilding design that Dormal found carrack?

> The Sofali with
> their ancestral turtle motherships have developed more sophisticated
> vessels than paddled canoes, either.

Do the Sofali turtle motherships looks like the Korean turtle warship? (The Korean turtle warship used for repulsing Japanese fleet in the end of the 16th century. In the Chinese legends, the turtles are messengers from the King of Dragons lives in the deep. In fact, the shell of this ship defended bullets.)

> Oars seem to be used both by Eastern shipbuilders (c.f. tireless
> Zombie rowers on Kralori barges)

If the Kralori barges identified with the Chinese junks, the junks could be sail with only sails like carrack.
Do you know Zheng He? He was one of greatest navigator in 14th century. He crossed the Indian Ocean and reached Zanzibar with his junk fleet.

> Pelorian river crafts up to and including Anaxial's Ark have a long
> and largely independent history, although Vestendos (Blue Boatman of
> the West, from the Sweet Sea) may have brought Artmali influences.

I also think so about it.
If the Osril River identified with the Nile, probably both boats looks like each other. Or like the Babylonian ark? In any case, the Pelorian boats are difficult to sail out to sea.

> East Isles war canoes (and larger ships) might use shark skin coatings
> for increased speed?

Umm... maybe or not.
At least it is no doubt that the people of East Isles have a grat navigation skill.

In the end,
What ship-style did Dormal build?

The local ship-styles change by Dormal?
Or the developping shipbuilding technology have continued by contacts with civilizations recently?
Or people get only <Open Sea> from Dormal and anything don't change?

Thank you, jorganos.

  Memini tui. Simul aliquid audivero, tibi scribam.

Moto Iwasaki      E-mail : efendi_at_...
$B4d:j(B  $BK>EP(B        Cell Ph: efendi_at_...
Yanqi Wangdeng My Site: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ty2m-iwsk/rq/