Re: Re: Fog of War

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 08:17:29 -0800

Good insight Tim,

At 02:08 PM 4/3/2002 -0000, you wrote:
>I thought the "proper" thing for Hengst to do in this case was to
>announce to all and sundry that he had killed Kofti (so as not to be
>accused of Secret Murder, a more serious crime), and then, depending
>on his wealth, strength and so forth either offer weregild or
>challenge Kofti's kin to make him pay it ...
He'd be obliged to do neigher of these latter unless he was some kind of do-gooder. He announces he murdered, then leave it up to the kin to do what they think proper.

>I'm not sure where (if) possesion by Iphara fits into this model. If
>the fog conceals the murder, and the murderer does not "come clean"
>afterwards then secret murder has been committed, and the community
>at large needs to find and deal with this person. (The truly sneaky
>and evil murderer will not only commit secret murder, but ensure that
>there is an "obvious murderer" to take the fall...).
The point here is that Iphara is the Murder Fog, and that its presence implies (secret) murder is present, intended or done.

>Alternatively, Hengst could admit to having killed Kofti, but claim
>posession by Iphara, and claim that both he and Kofti's kin have a
>claim against whoever is reponsible for summonning Iphara in the
>first instance...

No, he did the killing. If he was tricked or duped, he'd still be responsible. He could file a claim against whomever might have sent the fog, but it wouldn't change his responsibility.

Let's say that the Murder Fog is a natural phonomena that has blanketed Sartar, and it drives someone crazy or pushes them over the edge to commit murder. They are still guilty.
Let's say Iphara has a grudge against a family and constantly blankets them, one commits mruder: he is still guilty. Let's say there was an Iphara fog and Hengest kills Oddi, but then Hengest comes clean and makes it public. People would still say, "Secret murder was intended, because we know Iphara was there, BUT he came clean and it's just a killing now."
Let's say it was a Huraya fog and Gest killed Opan, but Gest kept it a secret. Guess what: it was actually Iphara, not Huraya!

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>