RE: Re: Fog of War

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 21:00:00 -0800

At 08:53 PM 4/3/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Orlanthi are known to use ambush methods of warfare against their foes
>(except the Humakti of course!). Would a clan's fyrd use the cover of
>Iphara's Fog to attack their enemies?

No, that would be murder. We're proud of who we kill! Ambush is not secret murder, just smart tactics.

>If the enemy was the Lunar army it might be justified (or not YGMV). Or if
>dealing with raiding Broo or other chaotic nasties the murder rage Iphara
>imparts may be useful?

You can not secretly murder anyone who is outside of your own culture. They are foreigners, not subject to the same rules and laws used to deal with your own people. So, using Iphara against them is OK.

>What about using Iphara's white blanket when cattle raiding the clan in the
>next valley or to catch unawares the clan you are feuding with?
Iphara = Secret Murder.
Ambush them with fog.

>Would the consequences be greater especially on a cattle raid? As instead
>of the herders being driven off the raiders would find it difficult NOT to
>slay them. So instead of stealing some prize bulls, a very minor crime and
>slight against the clan, the raiders have committed an atrocity, butching
>the herders and defenders. An infamous act that may bring down the wrath of
>not only the attacked clan but other neighbouring clans?
Note that if you use Iphara there is automatically some concealment going on, not of the deed, but of who did it. When you get to speculating about such unusual things as raiding in the Iphara fog (why would anyone want to conceal a raid, after all? Where is the fame in that?) then you are on your own. It's not the kind of thing I can answer. It is an unusual circumstance, and precisely the type of unusual activity that a RPG game might use, have to decide for themselves,and thereby set a precedent.

>Also would the foes of the Orlanthi use Iphara's fog against them? The
>Lunar army would use any resourse and Iphara's effects would counter some of
>the Storm magic the Orlanthi would bring to any battle. The Orlanthi would
>have to use their magic to rid the battle ground of Iphara's fog, wasting
>some of it before the battle itself took place.
Sure they would try to use Iphara against the Orlanthi, and vice versa. No crime in killing Lunars! Use whatever works!

Greg Stafford, greg_at_...
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>