Re: Re: Who's Hills?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:04:18 -0800

> > > We all know that Sartar is a hilly kingdom. There is much talk on
> > > this list, and even in official material, about hill clans and
> > people
> > > taking to the hills and moving sheep up into the hills in warmer
> > > weather, etc.
> > >
> > > But I keep having this suspicion that we aren't all visualizing the
> > > same sort of hills
> >
> > Well, since Sartar is frequently compared to Scotland, I know exactly
> > what they look like. I can see them from here :-)

Nah, they're like the Sierra Foothills (which actually look like parts of Scotland - the area around Old Struan, the old Robertson lands, look amazingly similar to our current land in California - if you trade free-range cattle for sheep :-). Tall, steep hills some with only a stream/river between them, some with wider valleys. The river valleys are cut into small hills by gullies/washes/rivelets/creeks/whatever your local name for a small waterway is.

Quivin is over to the east of us - Donner Pass is out that way...

I look over a Sartarite valley every day out my office window. Of course, about 20 miles away we have the plains of Prax (The Central Valley of California) - relatively flat, all the rivers dry up in summer, and hot as blazes 3/4 of the year.

Roderick