Re: RE: Wooden Ram

From: Peter Nordstrand <petermnordstrand_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 18:44:04 +0200

Terry Harvey-Chadwick:

> This sounds a little bit like the old Viking game of Hnaftafl, where the
> king is surrounded by his huscarls, who are all sorrounded by the opposition
> pieces.

I had no particular game in mind when making up Wooden Ram, though I find it somewhat surprising that you associate it with hnefatafl rather than chess, a game where you try to (1) get to your opponent's king, and (2) are able to remove your opponent's pieces from the game. ;-)

An old favourite is the game of stone throwing (more of a sport actually) called Varpa, which is still played on the island of Gotland in Sweden. It is my firm belief that Varpa is very popular among the Heortlings, and that there are Varpa tournaments at every tribal market. Who doesn't want to be a stone-throwing champion?

David Dunham:

> I like how Peter included some tips for narration.

Thank you.

Regards,

/Peter Nordstrand