Re: Wooden Ram

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:35:47 -0000

For some excelent examples of how to introduce game-within-game naratives, I heartily recommend 'Player of Games' by Ian M. Banks. It's SF, but very well written SF. The protagonist is a champion game player, and the highly complex strategic games he plays are only described in outline.

The Amber Diceless RPG also has some good examples of how you can introduce games such as chess into a game narative without actualy having to play chess. "I put up an armoured defence with my pawns, while threatening Black's left flank with my knight", type stuff.

What kinds of games might you find in Kethaela? My campaign is based in Karse, and theoreticaly any game played in Glorantha might be found in it's bars and salons.

Simon Hibbs