Re: Trade Goods from the Lunar Empire: How about books?

From: jeffkyer <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:16:51 -0000

Rare liquors. And one can go by BARGE with only a minor pack-horse interlude from the Empire down to Karse.

Most wine would be transported in amphorae which are much lighter. Please, even in Medieval times, wine was transported in barrels for vast distances... German wines were treasured as far away as Constantinople and the Russian principalties. Tithe for the Pope was often collected in Rhinewine which was then sent to Rome. Its a long, long way from Bacharach to Kiev. Much farther than it is from Peloria to Esrolia, no matter what map-scale you use.

> Magic Item is not suitable because Esrolians also can make the magic
> items. If you bring the magic items belongig to Lunar or Sorcery,
they

They are selling them to Kraloria, yes? Just because you don't use it doesn't mean you can't sell it to someone else...

I disagree with the 'not suitable' since folks _will_ take something that's useful to them if it doesn't seem to dangerous/illegal/immoral. And if you don't know the secret of making it, you can't replicate it yourself.

There's a strong pro-Lunar faction in Esrolia, afterall.

> wouldn't take them.
> Weapons is not suitable because Esrolians can get the iron from
Seshnela
> easily more Perolians.

Sure. But I don't see a huge weapon making tradition in Esrolia, sorry. So importing someone who can make swords/axes/bows better is very, very standard. (Henry VIII of England was forced to import most of his armour from Germany due to a lack of decent armourers).

And any ruler who wants to keep themselves in power knows the value of good arms and armour.

> According to "Genertela Book", the Cotton Fabrics from Elz Ast is
the
> best goods.

A bulky, heavy kind of trade goods. And, as the Dutch and English found when they tried to trade with Japan and China, cloth & wool does not sell in a climate where one tends to need silk. One could put it in the barges but I'd point out that Esrolia probably has cotton of its own and wools from Sartar.

> And I suggest bringing the books (or scrolls).
> The books of the learning will be pleased because the scholars of
Lankar
> Mhyis used to conceal their secrets, or they don't arrange their
data.
> The books of the dirty stories like "the Decameron" will be pleased
too,
> because Esrolians' wives are more terrible than Pelorians.

This is a good point. However, there's only so many copies of this one can trade. Literacy and the ability to READ Pelorian is not going to be common in Esrolia. It will be rarer in Kraloria where such books would mainly be curiousities.

Trade in books requires knowledge. Trade in luxuries only requires... money.

> by Efendi

Just to point out things.

Jeff