Re: Using Famous Characters

From: Michael Schwartz <mschwartz_at_...>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 20:07:40 -0400

Guy Hoyle wrote:

>How do you deal with the epic characters of
>the Gloranthan storylines in your campaigns?

The same way I deal with canonical characters in, for example, PENDRAGON. They begin as food for stories at first, remote and unknown. As the heroes gain greater renown and influence, I slowly introduce them to the movers and shakers. Eventually the heroes may become members of these figures' factions, and even close associates (such as when player-knights in PENDRAGON become officers in Arthur's court).

>Do the characters meet them and join them,
>hear stories about them, or do you actually
>leave them out of the game?

Much depends on the players' desires. I have seen PENDRAGON campaigns wherein player-knights chose to side with Lot rather than Arthur, dying for Lot's cause and reconciling with Arthur after Lot's death at the battle of Castle Terrabil. Some player-knights even refused to give up their enmity and became foes of those who joined Arthur. The original "Sartar" manuscript offered players a choice of which Argrath they wished to support, with consequences as their chosen champion succeeded or failed. Loads of fun...

--
Michael Richard Schwartz | Language is my playground,
mschwartz_at_... | and words, its slides and