Re: Digest Number 831

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 00:27:22 +0100

> << That's one of the things that prompted this line of thought. The ones I
> know are three power gamers and a butt-kicker, to use Robin's terminology.
> I can't make up my mind about one of the others that I've gamed with, and
> the other 3 I don't know about (though I suspect that two of them are
> storytellers). I'm more the storyteller type, I suppose, with some
> method-actor thrown in.
>
> It's looking very unlikely that I'll be running a game with this group
> because of the differences in our attitudes. >>
>
> I'm not sure why you can't tell a story for power-gamers and butt-kickers.
> Both Wolf Pirates and Uz fit this; not to mention Loskalmi fighting the KOW,
> a Sartarite gang fighting the Lunars, any band in Prax, Mraloti fighting the
> Ramalian overlords, or, what the hey, a Darkness group like the one presnted
> in the rules or even a Chaos band trying to destroy the world?

I got the impression he was saying that he could run such a game, but wouldn't find it enjoyable himself. This would, indeed, be a problem. Certainly HW is perfectly capable of being used for a powergamer sort of game, its storytelling origins notwithstanding, but not everyone enjoys that sort of thing and a bored GM does not make a good game session IME.

Since the group in question is so large, it seems more reasonable to focus on those members who are interested in the storytelling approach and run a game for them.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

MXLPs: 3 (Cap'n Q, Harvey Mills, Tim Hall)