Re: Re: Using Famous Characters

From: Russell Hoyle <hoyle_at_...>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:09:46 +0800

Trotsky:
> I'm not running a Glorantha campaign at the moment :-( , but if I were
> my thinking would be to have them in the background, so that PCs heard
> stories about them but didn't interact with them directly (unless they
> specifically wanted to do so, of course). Not that I think there's
> anything wrong or difficult to run about such interaction, mind, it just
> doesn't particularly interest me as a gaming theme, so I try to minimise
> it.

I agree with you here Trotsky. I have been spending *way* too much time reading about Sorcerer on The Forge Forums (www.indie-rpgs.com) and one of the big things about that game is developing the 'premise' of the game and a specific 'kicker' for each character [a story link or hook]. The idea is that the *player* (as distinct from the character) must have some sort of emotional investment in the story at hand... too much focus on the big movers 'n shakers would seem to run contrary to that approach. I suppose another way of putting it is that Heroes should be *the* heroes in whatever game you're playing.

Rusty