Re: Re: armour times?

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 10:12:15 -0400

> [Dave Bailey]
> Is there really that much work to keep an armourer going full time,
> I was assuming that he'd spend plenty of time doing blacksmith type stuff?

Oh yes! Mail is incredibly time consuming and skill intensive (making the rings is 'prentice work, of course). Remember, in ancient societies, these folks had to be supported by someone and most of the time this would be a tribal chief (who might have 1-2 of them) or a military group such as a large warband, temple or mercenary unit.

> [Dave Bailey]
> OK, so the answers yes and I guess given the number of dead lunars
> from the previous years I guess most clans could have a few bits'n'bobs
> buried around the tula for when they need to melt it down.

> > A decent warhorse? ANYTHING Iron (even just finding a Blacksmith with
> > spare time in a Bronze society should be an event)? Ancient relics? A
> > dragonbone Klanth? Look around and you'll find some trader with that
> > certain something that's no use to him, but damnably pricey to you...
> >
> [Dave Bailey] hmmm, I was thinking the following- the players
> approach a smith to make the shirt, he can't do it 'cause he needs to make a
> plow, the players could loan the farmer their plow (and oxen) which enables
> him to plant now. This means that the farmer won't be available to help his
> neighbour build his barn so the players also need to fill in for the farmer
> so that project gets completed as well. Of course this means that the farmer
> was able to get a better crop, maybe gifts the players later in the year
> when theirs isn't so good (they lent out their plow), the barn owner offers
> to house some of the players cows over the dark season to save them being
> slaughtered..........anyway I need something to kick off the chain reaction
> of debts and gifts? My mind has gone blank............

How about someone's milk cow going dry? And you can't hve a farm without one, afterall.

Or just go and raid another clan's steads and steal a plough from THEM! There is always another way.

Just hum to yourself 'There's a hole in my bucket, Dear Liza, Dear Liza. There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, a hole!" many many times. That should help...

Jeff