Re: Humakti and Heortlings law?

From: nichughes2001 <nick.hughes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 11:03:42 -0000

It depends what you mean by justice, I meant it in the sense that "justice" is a set of universal principles which guide people in judging what is right and what is wrong. Humakti certainly do seem to value the universal principles of truth and honor, whilst Heortling laws are more concerned with the pragmatic matter of maintaining the peace (even if this means their principles must bend in the wind on occasion). Humakti principles may bear little resemblance to modern ideas of justice but by holding their principles to be paramount they are clearly upholding their vision of justice over pragmatic concerns.

The sort of injustice humakti would be concerned with tends to involve a lack of honesty and honor. The Heortling legal system is specifically vulnerable to people who say one thing and then proceed to do another - i.e. who agree compensation then refuse to pay up knowing that they are too powerful for the litigants to do anything. This would clearly be seen as dishonorable, dishonest and unjust by a humakti. Heortling courts have only passing concern for truth and little or no concern for honor, I believe most humakti would regard them as flawed and unjust.

Of course YGMV, I'm just throwing ideas around.

--
Nic