Re: Humakti and Heortlings law?

From: nichughes2001 <nick.hughes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 17:14:31 -0000

Socially I see at least one huge difference, humakti are true to their word whereas eurmali are quite the opposite. If a humakti is led to the chieftain's hall (as any stranger should be) and goes through the ritual greeting of hospitality then he has given his word not to bear arms against the chieftain (and by implication his kin which are the whole clan). Being a humakti he can almost always be relied upon not to break this oath, even more so than the average passing orlanthi. Of course that's not to say that they are especially welcome, its not as if most unsheathed humakti are particularly likeable or affable, its just that they are trustworthy enough not to merit persecution such as eurmali receive.

Actually as the ritual of greeting is a sacred thing and constitutes a binding agreement then I would rule that a humakti would need some incredibly good explanation for the grossly dishonorable act of subsequently attacking his hosts - or else his sword would be shattering sharpish. This could make the basis of a good story as a wandering humakti goes through the usual hospitality rituals then finds some horrific secret about his hosts, should he act (and possibly offend his god for breaking his word) or pass on by (and let the evil go unpunished)?

--
Nic