Re: Re: Humakti in court

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 02:44:46 +0300 (EEST)

<snip>
> Healing magic means that disease doesn't quite so reliably kill off
> older folk, and magic will help offset the loss of physical vigour to
> some degree. I suspect wizened old humakti should inspire just as
> much concern in HW as a wizened old man in a simple robe would in a
> martial arts game--he may not be able to stand up to an army any
> more, but you really don't want to give him one clean shot at you.

The deadliest swordfighters in the real world aren't young bucks, but people in their sixties or even more. Swordfighting, even (especially?) with twohanded blades isn't about strength, but about skill.

Though Guy Hyle puts it nicely in his adaptation of "Here's to the Last to Die"

  When the keenest have gone before us
  And the dullest remain alive.

I at feel there are some old humakti there.

Humakt doesn't give life eternal, and eventually He comes for everyone. But at least in my game there has been a great Humakti hero (a difficult concept these days, but he'd been a tribal champion in his day).

He was basically "retired" and knew that one day Humakt would call him one final time, and he would have a chanse to die honorably in battle.

The player characters met this person when they were on a desperate quest against a terrible chaos foe (not that Chaos is a primary concern of Humakt, but it was a glorious battle). They were very happy to have this old warrior with them (think Shawn Connery with snow white hair and iceblue eyes)...

The warrior in question overcome all that he faced, and was left unwounded. The old fort where the final showdown was fought started to collaps, and when the surviving player characters run (or even teleported) for it, the old humakti struck his sword into the ground, and kneeled in grateful prayer as the stone walls crumbled on top of him.

What a death =D Going to meet Humakt, undefeated.

        -Adept