Promise of Thunder

From: illuminate33 <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_...>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 02:23:52 -0000

Dear Jeff,

after my last post, I tried to comprehend my intention and Avilation of Glorantha.

I imagined Hannibal's Army walking over the edge of cliff on Alps...but I must try to considering about their flying.

I don't think I know well about Ralian Orlanthi, (and whether they knew Vanganth the Flyer or not.) And I still think it is unusual to fly over the mountain with the Band of army....even a sort of Great Hero, like Alakoring. Of course an army needs more than their weapons and equipments, if they don't want to rely on only the supply of loot.

And if such aviation over High Mountains like Rockwood can be fluently occured, IMHO 3rd Age trading system of Glorantha will be collapsed by many Vanganthi traders. Hire them.

I think there is Ritual Flying for Ordinary Orlanthi. Though I don't know Ralians fly to Top of the World as Talastari, (or Heortling go to Kero Fin. ) Please see Message 2372 of this list, Greg Stafford post about Ritual Flying. But I don't know how I can makeup such HQ set within the rule of Hero Wars.

(TR p. 227, "To fly, Vanganthi exhale their breath to bear them
aloft, invisible to the naked eye but visible to magic sight as a ram, hawk, or alynx." Please see "become substantial" hardness in HW Rule p.173.)

I can pick up some similar situation from Monkey King...
("If you can fly so fast, why can't you carry your master to the
Western Heaven?"
"I cannot for our master is only a mortal and his body is too heavy to carry over our clouds. We must go through our way as an imposed practice.")

BTW, in KOS, Night Jumpers fought against Kitori Tribe while Tarkalor visited their clan... I don't know when the Promise of Thunder will be published. (I hope I can read it soon...maybe after Orlanth is Dead! and ILE-1? )

TI