Re: Head Taking

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 11:22:34 -0000

John Hughes" <nysalor_at_p...> wrote:

> Taking a head can express mere disgust for a Praxian or
Grazelander, and as
> such might be relatively common against such enemies. Taking an
Orlanthi
> head is more complex in both motivation and perception. It *might*
honour an
> enemy, but its also an act of extreme provocation, and risks
starting a
> feud. ...

I think that as is often the case where potentialy chaotic acts cross over with accepted practices, the intent of the act is significant.

A Heortling might take the head of a noted foe for several reasons. As a hostile act to prevent the ghost going to it's propper place in the otherworld. Too honour a foe and perhaps even make sure the ghost does go to it's proper resting place. To strike terror into the hearts of his enemies and call on the defeated ghost to attest to his prowess.

I think these are probably the main reaosns a Heortling might take a head, and while old fashioned, and regarded as suspect, this is no more chaotic than similar voodoo done by worshipers of Zorak Zoran. In fact, it's even possible that some of the Heortlings that do these sorts of things actualy do worship Zorak Zoran, or a spookily similar Heortling lookalike spirit or god.

What makes Thanatar cultists different from this is that, rather than simply taking the heads of their foes, they actualy go out of their way to kill people who are otherwise not their enemies _just_ so that they can take their heads for personal power and profit.

We can see a similar distinction in the difference between Urox and Urain. Uroxi, some unfortunate 'missunderstandings' asside, use their battle frenzy to fight their rightfull foes. It is a natural response to a threat. Uraini use their Battle Frenzy simply because they can, because they gain power from it. It is an end in itself. Even Zorak Zoran's violent fury is a response, not a goal in it's own right. So too it is with head taking.

Simon Hibbs