RE: Re: Newbie Intro

From: Hendry, Philip <p.hendry_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 14:35:40 +0100

> > above the parapet doesn't seem to result in instantaneous death
>
> It's the Thanatari again...

:-))

> Agreed, too much depth and not enough playable breadth.

Different to Harn, because with Harn there are zillions of 'hooks' from which to hang adventure(r)s- I never have trouble finding things for them to do, if they don't stumble across something themselves. HW's Glorantha doesn't (yet) hit me with quite the same force.

> I would say telling them it's celtic/viking with a lot of low-level
> magic would do... Discussing the floodtide of choices of deity to
> worship usually serves as a good excuse to introduce lots of
> Gloranthan myth and flavour.

Yes, thanks.

Unless they're of the creative variety,
> the 100-word writeup is probably a bad idea, so go with the list
> method, leave a few slots open until they get a bit of play in.

There's just one (out of six) who'd be good at that, if she knew anything about Glorantha. Perhaps after we've played a bit.

> Start with the old ways, there's quite a few old RQ adventures around
> the 'net converted to HW. Rainbow Mounds still works, just about.
> Gringle's Pawnshop (subtly disguised since pawnshops don't belong in
> the newly revamped Dragon Pass) worked very well indeed for us.

Thanks.

Get
> used to the basics of the system before you stsrt converting the
> players. Barbarian Adventures, although I personally don't like it
> too much, does have an interesting adventure and a lot of nice
> scenario ideas.

I've just this minute ordered a copy.

> You're a doctor? I've got this pain in my left shoulder where a bloke
> in plate mail fell on me a couple weeks ago...

You *really* wouldn't want me performing acts of healing- I'm a physicist rather than a physician. The name may be the same apart from the last two letters but believe me, they make a lot of difference... :-))

Cheers,
Phil

A professor is someone who talks in someone else's sleep. W.H. Auden, 1907-73

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/depts/physics/staff/pch.htm