Re: Newbie Intro

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 10:04:35 +0800

"Hendry, Philip" wrote:
> I thought I'd
> say Hi.

> During the 80s and most of the
> 90s we played a lot of MERP/Rolemaster, and dabbled in other games, including
> Runequest (2), which had us hooked for a while. Then, a few years ago we
> discovered Columbia Games' "Harn", and have played almost nothing else since
> I was (and am)
> thinking hard about game design, and how to improve/change the games we play
> (as one does- I've never managed to play any RPG without customising it to a
> greater or lesser extent). 'Heavy' is certainly the word. All our gaming has
> been down a fairly 'simulationist' route, so the premise on which HW seems to
> be based is very confusing for me.

> I think I could create a character, but I have no idea how to force enough
> information into my players

> I'm also completely lost as to where to start, adventuring-wise, what sort of
> thing to run and how to run it- face it folks, I'm a dinosaur of the
> simulationist breed, and HW is rather different to what I'm used to. :-)

Hello Philip. You've already had several replies, and I won't repeat the good advice you've already received. Here is some of my experience.

The mechanical style is impossible with HW, the 'exploration' style works very well. In fact, our HW campaign has some 'exploration' aspects to it. In particular, this was the thread connecting our first series of episodes, which I Narrated. I did this precisely because the two players I started with knew NOTHING about Glorantha. I used the 'exploration' style to introduce them to more and more aspects of Heortling life. You might want to try something similar.

Someone else suggested 'start small'. For example, pick one Heortling tribe, invent the name of one clan, decide the name of the Chief, and decide one thing that makes that clan different from the Heortling norm. Hang adventures on that difference. For my epsiodes, I choose the Fire Bull clan of the Sambari tribe (actually, I didn't have to invent that clan name). I decided that they were atypical because they lived in the barren mountains, rather than the more productive hills and lowlands. That small start created a surprising quantity of ideas.