RE: Re: Interpretations of Kinstrife and taboos agains t killing kin

From: bernuetz.oliver_at_...
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 14:21:42 -0400

writes
>>> My instinct, without checking on anything specifically written
>>> against it, is that if he's outlawed, he's no longer kin. Therefore,

> >> no kinstrife.
> >
> >I wouldn't be so sure about that. It's a mistake to view Orlanthi law
> >as being that cut and dried. There is always the possibility that
> >someone is going to view it as kinstrife whether the relationship has
> >been officially severed or not.

Kevin Blackburn

> Never mind people - kinstrife offers an opening to chaos, which is
> unlikely to obey Orlanthi legalisms in its choices.

Yes it'd certainly be seen as an invitation to chaos, a weakening of the social structure and a "bad" which always leads to chaos, but I certainly wouldn't always treat it as a straight cause and effect. ("Ooh, now you've done it. You've killed the neighbour's boy, here come the broos!) It's a given that it's a bad but the gods don't always punish bad people(s). And while I agree with Roderick that the Storm Tribe for the most part lacks subtly and patience in their punishments I don't think they catch 100% of all misdeeds nor punish people right away (just most of the time and when narratively expedient).

Oliver