Re: Humakti acceptability

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:48:06 -0000

> Right, so you'd agree they don't actually take part in those
ritiuals
> (they may, of course, have an active part to play in any HQ within
> the rituals, representing Humakt), and would likely be somewhat
> unwelcome near them.

I think many rituals would have roles for Humakt in the action, so to speak, but just because Humakt is acting as a guardian during fertility rituals doen't mean he's excluded from them. Part of any ritual involves defining the space within which it will take place, and guarding the boundaries is part of that. What is not in a ritual (excluded from it, or prevented from entering by Humakt) is sometimes as significant as what is included. A Humakt worshiper might even be explicitly 'cast out' of the sacred space of some rituals, as a necessery part of it. If you don't have a Humakti to cast out, how do you know that Death has truly been excised? You might even has to travell to fetch the most powerfull Humakti you can, just so that you can throw him out of the sacred circle good and propper.

Also some fertility rituals will involve a direct role for Humakt, such as those performed at the onset of winter when the old must die to make way for the new, or at harvest time.

> What about the Yanafal question? Are they in any way (and what way)
> compatable with Humakt? Can they get along these days? Are they now
> related (I never knew much about Yanafal, and in these
Elmal/Yelmalio
> days things change).

In the old days "A Lunar Humakt" was a usefull shorthand for YT in the absence of an actual writeup. Even then it was clearly a bit of a botch, and now I think it's far past the time to lay it to rest.

If there are similarities in their rites and customs, I'd rather keep that as a surprising revelation or secret that the PCs discover in play, rather than integral or necessery to the background or plot.

Simon Hibbs